[Foss4g2009] Workshops

Daniel Ames amesdani at isu.edu
Thu Oct 23 18:51:54 EDT 2008

My team said that the lab had a lot more attendance than the workshop -
probably since it was shorter (less of a commitment from the attendees in
case they were only marginally interested) and also the labs were integrated
into the conference space/schedule. I think that's a good thing.
Though, I've never had to orchestrate the logistics of such a thing. So,
given the idea of dropping the computer lab, I would propose:

Go with the a computer-less lab. In such a setting people could come and get
a very thorough introduction to a piece of software - much more than in a 15
minute talk.  They could meet the developer team and learn about the project
and see a demo and so forth.

Perhaps a name other than "lab" is needed.  Something like "Project
Spotlight" where a single project is spotlighted and talked about and
instructed on and demo'd etc for the 90 minutes. (or even 60 minutes? though
much less wouldn't be much of a spotlight)

- Dan

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm hearing advice on cutting labs, which I'm fine with, but I'm concerned
> that no one is addressing what I consider to be our immediate need with
> regards to defining the revised program, and hence what rooms we require.
>
> If we take away labs, should we replace them with computer-less labs?
> Probably renamed as tutorials.
>
> The most important question for me - which I want to resolve by our budget
> meeting on Tuesday, is are we having 1 day or labs or 2? (I'm adverse to
> changing to 2 days, I think it is too much of a change to the expected
> program).
>
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>
>> Paul Ramsey wrote:
>>
>>> They double (or more) the number of different software combinations
>>> that need to be supported, but since they are shorter, they have a
>>> smaller increment of teaching-time-to-logistical-prep-time-required.
>>> They also tend to be less in-depth and because they are shorter they
>>> make less effective use of the lab equipment (proportionally more
>>> watching-the-teacher time and less using-the-computer time).
>>>

>> Paul,
>>
>> Your points are pretty strong.  I would note that some potential
>> instructors, such as myself, are rather hesitant to take on the
>> responsibility of a full three hour workshop, and the 90 minute lab
>> makes a more approach intermediate commitment.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>

> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Geospatial Systems Architect