[Foss4g2009] FOSS4G 2009 Website

mapbutcher mapbutcher at mapbutcher.com
Mon Sep 22 18:15:47 EDT 2008

Janelle,

Great work on the site - find below my comments:

1. RIGHT HAND COLUMN -  Ensure the OSGeo logo links to the OSGeo site  &
under the OSGeo blurb and logo can i suggest adding a sub heading 'stay
connected' add to this the Twitter link & the wiki and mailing list links -
we will add further networking links when we have these. This 'stay
connected' information could also go on the contacts page as per Pauls
comments

2. BANNER - The 'User Driven' text on the banner is a little bit lost (i.e.
its not clear to me from the banner itself what it means within the context
of the conference - my preference here would be to drop this from the banner
and dedicate a section of the site to the conference theme, but its just a
preference

3. BANNER AND HOME PAGE - Change date on first page and logo - as per Dave's
comments

4. HOME PAGE - The text:
*
The Australian and New Zealand chapter of OSGeo focuses on local issues like
promoting OSGeo principles at conferences and lobbying for and building
open, local, geographic datasets.*

Should read:

*The Australian and New Zealand chapter of OSGeo focuses on local issues
like promoting OSGeo principles at conferences and lobbying for and building
open, local and geographic datasets.*

With regard to Daves point 3D:

3-D)
Home page:
"About OSGeo - Australia/New Zealand" section:
Does this section need to be on the Home page?
If so, shouldn't it be after the "About FOSS4G"
section, and shouldn't it contain some text
that explains the linkage between the local
chapter and the hosting of the conference?
Change "local issues like promoting" to
"local issues such as promoting".

I tend to agree and would swap the order of the content  - i.e. About FOSS4G
then followed by About OSGeo Australia/New Zealand. If the preference is to
not have the 'About OSGeo Australia/New Zealand' section on the home page
then i would move this to the committee page.

5. HOME PAGE - The following text:

*FOSS4G is the international gathering of open source, geospatial tribes.
The spatial industry is undergoing rapid innovations and the open source
spatial community is one of the forces driving the change.

>From its beginnings the FOSS4G conference has been the gathering of the
spatial tribes and has a reputation of being a melting pot for great ideas
in the spatial industry and a catalyst for many successful geospatial
products, standards and protocols. The 2007 conference was held in Victoria,
BC, Canada and was a huge success. The 2008 conference will be held in Cape
Town, South Africa.
*
Would it be possible to amend this to:

*The spatial industry is undergoing rapid innovations and the open source
spatial community is one of the forces driving the change. The FOSS4G
conference is more than a melting pot of great ideas it is a catalyst and
opportunity to unite behind the many successful geospatial products,
standards and protocols. The 2007 conference was held in Victoria, BC,
Canada and was a huge success. The 2008 conference will be held in Cape
Town, South Africa and is shaping up to be a fantastic event.*

6. HOME PAGE - I think we should another sub heading on the home page as
follows;

*What to expect in 2009*

Add to the following content:

*FOSS4G 2009 Sydney will be the seventh "formal" conference of the open
source geospatial community and is expected to focus on the increasing
importance of FOSS4G in the public and private enterprise*.

with..

*Carrying on the FOSS4G conference tradition 2009 will present a
comprehensive agenda, combining content from across the geospatial spectrum.
FOSS4G is a unique event which collects together a global community into a
single location for an intensive week of activity. Year on year FOSS4G
provides a great opportunity to take part in a very special event, where
ideas mix together with language to create a network of collaboration and
creativity. Come and join in.(link to the expression of interest)*

7. EXPRESSION OF INTEREST -

Should Organisation be a mandatory field?

8. HOST CITY -

Change:

*It has a rather warm climate in November.*

*It has a rather warm climate in October - possibly :)*

9. COMMITTEE

Yes update details in line with information on governance page of wiki - can
everyone please supply to the list\wiki a personal site link(if you have
one) and an organisation site link (if you have one)

i.e. Simon Hope (www.mapbutcher.com\blog) ESRI Australia (
www.esriaustralia.com.au)

10. FOOTER

*If you have experienced any difficulties with this Website please contact
the webmaster.*

I agree with earlier comments about the term webmaster I know we're geeks
but we're not playing dungeons and dragons (apologies if i have offended any
D&D fans) - perhaps change this to:

*If you have experienced any difficulties with this Website then please let
us know (with a link from the 'know')*

ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS ON THE WIKI:

I wonder if it's a bit too tall (taking more vertical space than really
needed) We can make it smaller, but I think then we would lose some of the
photo. What do others think?

>> I think this looks fine

Any "items" in the banner, such as images or text, should be links back to
the Home page Do you mean you want to link the banner to go the home page?

>> This appears to be the case in the most recent version of the site

Will all pages have a 'right column', or perhaps only some pages? For
example, for 2007, most pages did not have a right column, but the Home and
Sponsorship pages did, where it was used to display the sponsor logos. As
for the current "Expression of Interest" right column, get rid of it - it
doesn't belong there, even at this stage (more about this below). We have
moved the SOGeo Logo here, I like having a side bar on each page, What do
others think?

>>I'm not bothered either way on the side bar being consistant across pages
- I think given the choice i would vote for not having it on every page as
this gives us some more real estate as we need it when we add content later
on

It's a webpage, so include links where possible (e.g. see the 2007 About
page: http://www.foss4g2007.org/about_foss4g/).  We can do this, however we
would require more information about what link to add

>>I think this will sort itself out over time - as we add content

Cheers

Simon