[Foss4g2009] FOSS4G 2009 Website

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Sep 23 13:01:09 EDT 2008

On 22-Sep-08, at 10:30 PM, Tim Bowden wrote:

>> the established pattern from 2006-2008,
>> which means we should use:
>> http://www.foss4g2007.org/
>
> Wasn't there some discussion on the marketing list ages ago about
> this?
> The concern was future domains could be hijacked.  Sorry, I can't
> point
> to the reference atm.  If we always use foss4g.org/year then we escape
> this issue.  foss4g.org/ would always point to the next/current
> conf as
> appropriate.

I don't recall the outcome of the earlier discussion, but it's safe
to say that the only reason foss4g.org/20xx  hasn't been used the
past two years was because we didn't own foss4g.org until recently.
I got this done a couple months ago, so we're all set now.  It simply
wasn't an option and 2007 wasn't going to wait for it to get ironed
out first.

By using a different domain each year, we are somewhat forking focus
on FOSS4G as an ongoing event.  Of course a few aliases never hurt,
but I have a hard time believing that anyone ever specifically
yearned for the year as part of the URL.

Now to the technical nitty gritty, this involves filing a work
request ticket to our systems committee (SAC).[1]  I don't mind
helping here and there, but can't see me leading this process this
year.  There are some important issues to be worked out - shell
access for site updates, admin contacts, urls paths etc.  Holler if
you need help with the ticket.  Will Simon be the main contact from
your end?

Tyler

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo