[Foss4g2009] FOSS4G 2009 Website

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Tue Sep 23 13:47:00 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 10:24 -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> While there is some love for
>
> http://www.foss4g.org/2009
>
> may I put my oar in for
>
> http://2009.foss4g.org

Your Jedi persuasive powers have worked for me Paul.  I'll go with that
(though my sentimental favourite is conf.osgeo.org, but nobody ever gave
it love).

> Since the latter can be easily pointed to non-osgeo boxes, while the
> former will require redirects or proxypasses to do so.
>
> (Moving to YYYY.foss4g.org also allows us to point those numbers
> directly at the 2007 and 2006 sites for instant gratification.)
>
> Also, as Jason Birch pointed out to me in 2007, for optimal search
> ranking, you want to choose *one* canonical domain name and redirect
> to that, not have 5 urls all answering.
>
> So, rather than having
>
> http://www.foss4g2009.org/hotels.html
> http://www.foss4g.org/2009/hotels.html
> http://foss4g2009.org/hotels.html
> http://2009.foss4g.org/hotels.html
>
> all return content, only *one* should return content, and all the rest
> should 304 to that one.

304?  I believe 302 is the standard practice (though 301 will proly also
do the trick).  I'm no expert, but going off:
http://httpwatch.com/httpgallery/redirection/ and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes I'm sceptical 304
is our answer.

Regards,
Tim

> Paul
>
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Dave Patton <davep at confluence.org> wrote:
> > On 2008/09/23 10:04 AM, Dave Patton wrote:
> >
> >> As far as I know, here's what needs to be done:
> >
> >> 2)
> >> Configure "that box". Presumably entails
> >> setting up a public-facing directory for
> >> the root web directory, and Apache config
> >> (virtual host?) to support HTTP requests
> >> in the form www.foss4g.org/YYYY/ and
> >> www.foss4gYYYY.org (e.g. via suitable
> >> Apache Rewrite rules).
> >
> > Also, have a rewrite rule for requests that
> > use the subdomain: foss4g2009.foss4g.org
> >
> >> 4)
> >> Setup DNS entries for www.foss4g.org
> >> (presumably already in place) and
> >> www.foss4gYYYY.org to point to the
> >> IP for "that box".
> >
> > If the DNS entry is already in place
> > for foss4g.org such that any subdomian
> > such as foss4g2009.foss4g.org will go
> > to "that box", then nothing more needs
> > to be done, but if not, then create a
> > DNS entry for foss4g2009.foss4g.org
> >
> > --
> > Dave Patton
> > CIS Canadian Information Systems
> > Victoria, B.C.
> >
> > Degree Confluence Project:
> > Canadian Coordinator
> > Technical Coordinator
> > http://www.confluence.org/
> >
> > OSGeo FOSS4G2007 conference:
> > Workshop Committee Chair
> > Conference Committee member
> > http://www.foss4g2007.org/
> >
> > Personal website:
> > Maps, GPS, etc.
> > http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.