[Foss4g2009] Conference Presentation Starter Topics

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 16:20:57 EST 2009

Harley,
Sorry for the delayed response.

I think you have compiled a good list here. A few comments inline...

Harley Prowse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I raised the issue of suggested presentation topics or themes to be sent
> out as part of the call for papers.  The idea is to communicate to
> possible presenters the types of topics we are keen to see at the
> conference.  I don't think this should be a list that people need to
> stick to, just some ideas to get people thinking and to ensure that we
> get a good coverage of topics to appeal to the many different types of
> potential delegates.  We should make it clear that any presentations
> relating to FOSS4G and the conference theme will be considered whether
> they fall into one of the suggested topic areas or not.
>
> So, in the interests of building up some suggested topics, here is a
> starter.  Please feel free to re-word, and/or add more as you see fit
> (and suggest deletion).  I will compile a list for the OC to approve
> (before the next OC Meeting on 18th Feb) to the Wiki here
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Program#Presentation_Themes
>

> Technical Topics (not my domain, I will need some input from the Techies
> for this list).
> - New Developments and software
> - Technical implementations

- Spatial Data Infrastructure programs
> - Using FOSS with proprietary software

... "Integrating" FOSS with proprietary software
> - FOSS Cartography and Map Production

- Trends with Geospatial standards
- Security
- Data: collection, integration, manipulation, presentation, licensing,
business models
- Web 2.0
- Addressing Reliability, Performance, Load, Scalability, Distributed
datasets
- Testing and Validation

> Business Topics
> - Implementation Case Studies - The business problem, the solution, how
> it was implemented, how the solution solved the problem etc.
> - FOSS4G Business Case - Selling FOSS4G to managers, cost benefit,
> risks, lessons learned etc  Might be old hat for NA and Europe, but of
> interest "down under"

- FOSS4G Marketing
> - Best of Breed Case Studies - Implementing a combination of proprietary
> and FOSS software, why, how etc.

If appropriate, you might want to link to
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Case_Studies