[Foss4g2009] Workshops and tutorials

Mark Leslie mrk.leslie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 19:36:13 EST 2009

With the call for workshops and tutorials going out yesterday
(presumably) we need to sort out how we should go about ranking and
selecting them.  I seem to remember putting together a suggestion but
for the life of me I have no idea where I put it.

My suggestion is that we basically have some simple guidelines and let
the organising committee run with them.  I feel it's more important to
exert our will over the workshops since we have fewer of them than
previous years and we need to ensure we have a high ratio of beginner
workshops, our presenters are as experienced as possible, etc.

Tutorials I expect will be a different balance.  24 slots gives us more
flexibility, and I would like to see the developers and advanced users
catered to as much as beginners.  I  also feel that we should be able to
define four clear tracks once we can see what submissions we have to
work with.

The criteria that I've been discussing to date are (in no particular order):

* Presenter experience with the material and FOSS4Gs (more important for
workshops)
* Beginner oriented (only for workshops)
* Fit with the "User Driven" theme
* Fit with other tutorials and available tracks (only for tutorials)
* Hands-on content (mandatory for workshops, preferred for tutorials)
* Balance of user level within the program (only for tutorials)
* Quality of the content of the response
* Quality of the written description (if they can't write a decent
description how will they write a decent tutorial?)

Volker was working on an app to allow us to vote on these, which would
make life easier, but I think we need to be aware that simply taking the
top N in the ranking won't necessarily provide us with the balance of
content we need.  I haven't heard if he has finished or not.

Any thoughts on our process?

--
Mark Leslie
Geospatial Software Architect

Ph: +61 2 8570 5000 Fax: +61 2 8570 5099 Mob: +61
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf 19-21 Pirrama Rd Pyrmont NSW 2009