[Board] Re: [Foss4g2009] OSGeo AGM at FOSS4G?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 3 12:48:18 EST 2009

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> If there was unlimited time and energy we could easily have a half-day
> get together event.  But this is somewhat what FOSS4G already is for
> OSGeo, so rather than suggest that, it might work if we could roll AGM
> talks into regular presentation sessions instead.  e.g. have one
> presentation where sponsors talk about their goals and experience (good
> for other potential sponsors to attend), and other ones talking about
> projects or committees (good for users or for potential volunteers who
> might like to help on a committee), etc.  Roll them together into a
> string to make a virtual half day session.  It could be the AGM stream.
> Then we also have a group session with an open format for more
> discussion.  I haven't looked closely at timing and availability in the
> conference programme timetable, but if it's workable I would help
> organise this.

Tyler,

In this vein, I'm in the habit of offering a "State of GDAL/OGR" presentation
in the regular presentation track.  I think this would make sense for lots
of other projects as well.

In some cases BOFs can serve a similar role for a project.

> I think it would be more manageable.  With my "user" hat on, I'd hate to
> lose the chance for individual projects/committees/sponsors and a "real
> person" to share with the group.  This way you'd still get to see a face
> but also not be locked in to have to see all of them ;-)

I would like to see committees be able to report at the AGM, and potentially
a few chapters with lots of activity, perhaps new projects.  But it should
perhaps be judged in advance by the chair/facilitator based on special
interest rather than the assumption that everyone ought to report.

Best regards,