[Foss4g2009] Demonstration Theatre

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 19:24:56 EDT 2009

Morning all:

I have offered to run a demonstration theatre this year - (in a format
similar to 2007).And it is getting to the point where I need to get
organized; so this option for publicity can be made available to
conference sponsors.

The format I have used for this activity is as follows:
- 10 minuets
- must show running software
- two projectors for instant cut over - great if you have short
attention span
- we did arrange back to back sessions for sponsors with more than one
product being demoed (just so they did not have to leave their booth twice)
- set up in the coffee breaks and lunch (with lunch being the more
popular timeslot)

Any feedback on this format? So far most of the feedback has been on how
worth while having your lunch in the demo theatre was; and how
entertainingly punctual I was in switching between one demonstration and
the next. In 2007 I found this to be a very worth while activity; we
only had one demo not show (and were able to arrange a replacement).

I was also pleased to see this format used in 2008 - and would love some
feedback from Mr Sutton on the experience.

Related links:
- http://www.foss4g2007.org/exhibition/demotheatre/

Interesting cultural note:
- coffee breaks are called tea breaks in Australia even though they
drink coffee in the morning; and strange energy drinks in the afternoon
Jody