[Foss4g2009] Demonstration Theatre

Mark Leslie mrk.leslie at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 19:40:30 EDT 2009

Jody Garnett wrote:
> Morning all:
>
> I have offered to run a demonstration theatre this year - (in a format
> similar to 2007).And it is getting to the point where I need to get
> organized; so this option for publicity can be made available to
> conference sponsors.
>
> The format I have used for this activity is as follows:
> - 10 minuets
> - must show running software
> - two projectors for instant cut over - great if you have short
> attention span
> - we did arrange back to back sessions for sponsors with more than one
> product being demoed (just so they did not have to leave their booth twice)
> - set up in the coffee breaks and lunch (with lunch being the more
> popular timeslot)
>
> Any feedback on this format? So far most of the feedback has been on how
> worth while having your lunch in the demo theatre was; and how
> entertainingly punctual I was in switching between one demonstration and
> the next. In 2007 I found this to be a very worth while activity; we
> only had one demo not show (and were able to arrange a replacement).
>
> I was also pleased to see this format used in 2008 - and would love some
> feedback from Mr Sutton on the experience.
>
> Related links:
> - http://www.foss4g2007.org/exhibition/demotheatre/
>
> Interesting cultural note:
> - coffee breaks are called tea breaks in Australia even though they
> drink coffee in the morning; and strange energy drinks in the afternoon
> Jody

I think this is a great idea and the format seems correct, but I'm not
sure where this would live.  I would like to see it done somehow amongst
the booths so that we aren't drawing people away from them, but that
would place it in the middle of one of the many foyers.  How much space
is needed for this?

Mark Leslie
Geospatial Software Architect
LISAsoft

Ph: +61 2 8570 5000 Fax: +61 2 8570 5099 Mob: +61
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf 19-21 Pirrama Rd Pyrmont NSW 2009

LISAsoft is part of the A2end Group of Companies
http://www.ardec.com.au
http://www.lisasoft.com
http://www.terrapages.com