[Foss4g2009] FOSS4G and Ignite Spatial

Stephen Lead stephen.lead at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 23:15:58 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Running Ignite Spatial on the 21st October from 630-8pm sounds like a good
plan. We can then move the networking/after party to a nearby pub.

In terms of a venue, the ideal location is somewhere informal where people
can stand around with a beer in their hand - it helps to make Ignite feel
non-corporate and a break from the actual conference. This might be possible
to achieve by roping off an area in the exhibition hall? The advantage of
this is that the size could expand or contract depending on how many people
registered to attend.

Next best would be a function or conference room where people could sit
theatre-style. Either way, we need a data projector with a screen viewable
by everyone in the audience. It really helps create the right vibe if people
can have a beer before and during the presentations.

For sponsorship, one suggestion is to leave this to the Ignite Spatial
organisers to sort out. Does this run the risk of offending the FOSS4G
sponsors - eg if ESRI Australia or MapInfo were to be sponsors?

Cheers,
Steve