[Foss4g2009] Workshop printing

mapbutcher mapbutcher at mapbutcher.com
Sun Mar 29 15:16:30 EDT 2009

> 1. poor quality
>    I have done comb binding before, and the result wasn't that hot.
> Considering we're pushing instructors for quality and charging a premium
> I want to make sure the printing we're offering is high quality as
> well.  I'm sure we'll get better as we go, but that brings us to...

>>It isn't rocket science.....on a related point I attended a PostGIS
workshop in 2007 and received a very poorly binded document, perhaps this
was your handy work Mark? :)

Can you clarify what you mean by 'charging a premium'?

> 2. volunteer effort
>    We will need to print and bind up to 580 books.  I don't know how
> long this would take, but with a single binding machine, too long by far
> is my guess.  Even getting several binding machines mean we need a lot
> of people manning them over three weeks, and considering most of our
> volunteers are restricted to evenings and weekends, that may not be enough.

>>Yes i think this would be an issue, does it also highlight the need for us
to start canvassing for volunteer resources that we may need across the
conference as a whole?

> 3. risk
>    The points above really just lead to this.  We might be able to do
> it, but unless we have someone lurking around that has done this, can
> instruct us and give us some reliable metrics, we won't know if it will
> fly until we either succeed or fail.  This seems too important to me to
> fail, and I don't think adding $20 per delegate to make sure is asking
> too much.

>>Obviously this needs to be sorted prior to registration and I share your
concerns about resourcing this and the time taken to complete prior to the
conference.