[Foss4g2009] "newbie" section on FOSS4G website?

Stephen Lead stephen.lead at gmail.com
Thu May 7 20:17:02 EDT 2009

I'm an experienced GIS user, but I've only ever used commercial GIS
software. I'm intrigued to learn more about free and open source GIS
software but I don't really know where to start.

I reckon most of my GIS friends would be in the same position as me. Do you
think it's worthwhile putting a "getting started" section on the FOSS4G
website letting us know where to start?

Eg the conference DVD will include some FOSS GIS software. Is any of it
available online already, and if so where can we download it and start
playing with it before the conference? That way we would have a better idea
of which sessions to attend, and would have a more compelling reason to
attend in the first place.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Steve