[Foss4g2009] "newbie" section on FOSS4G website?

Doug White doug.royce.white at gmail.com
Thu May 7 20:33:12 EDT 2009

Steve,

I think it's a good idea.  I would say all the software on the LiveDVD
is available online in one way or other. There are also websites devoted
to this, try a search on sourceforge for GIS or opensourcegis.org, there
will be many others sites.

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=GIS
http://opensourcegis.org/

You can also download LiveDVD images like Arramagong LiveDVD and use
them now.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Available_Live_Discs

Any getting started section should probably include an outline of
getting packages using apt-get or yum for the uninitiated and summary of
building from source too.

Doug.