[Foss4g2010] Starting preparation for technology comparison presentations

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 19:03:20 EDT 2010

Lluis,
There was an email to the WMS Shootout benchmarking list today
suggesting that they should start putting together tests soon if they
are going to get presentations put together in time for foss4g.

I'm interested to know what comparative presentations have already been
identified to be presented at foss4g, and which will go through the
competitive selection process.

My reasoning is that as soon as a comparative presentation has been
selected, we are in a position to lobby people to help create the
presentation.

Am I right in understanding that the Organising Committee have already
committed to a LiveDVD overview during the plenary session? Note, I
think that we should only dedicate 60 minutes to this overview instead
of 90 minutes. I would like to make it even shorter (maybe 45 mins),
although I'm not sure if that will be possible. I'd like to keep the
presentation very high level, and leave details to other presentations
(like the technology comparison presentations).

Also of note, it will be difficult to squeeze some of the comparative
presentations in 30 minutes. The FOSS4G 2009 WMS shootout lasted 47
mins. The WMS Shootout made part of the final plenary session, and if
the other comparative projects are ranked highly enough by the
community, you may consider making them plenary sessions too. (I realise
this will be a difficult decision, as one plenary session removes 6
streamed sessions.)

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager