[Foss4g2010] Re: Starting preparation for technology comparison presentations

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Tue Apr 27 09:56:29 EDT 2010

If they are really cool as the wms shootouts we can remove lightening
talks...
With Jeff we have decided to reserve one hour for the Wms benchmarks

Lorenzo

On 21 Apr 2010 01:03, "Cameron Shorter" <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:

Lluis,
There was an email to the WMS Shootout benchmarking list today suggesting
that they should start putting together tests soon if they are going to get
presentations put together in time for foss4g.

I'm interested to know what comparative presentations have already been
identified to be presented at foss4g, and which will go through the
competitive selection process.

My reasoning is that as soon as a comparative presentation has been
selected, we are in a position to lobby people to help create the
presentation.

Am I right in understanding that the Organising Committee have already
committed to a LiveDVD overview during the plenary session? Note, I think
that we should only dedicate 60 minutes to this overview instead of 90
minutes. I would like to make it even shorter (maybe 45 mins), although I'm
not sure if that will be possible. I'd like to keep the presentation very
high level, and leave details to other presentations (like the technology
comparison presentations).

Also of note, it will be difficult to squeeze some of the comparative
presentations in 30 minutes. The FOSS4G 2009 WMS shootout lasted 47 mins.
The WMS Shootout made part of the final plenary session, and if the other
comparative projects are ranked highly enough by the community, you may
consider making them plenary sessions too. (I realise this will be a
difficult decision, as one plenary session removes 6 streamed sessions.)

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager

Think Globally, Fix Locally