[Foss4g2010] benchmark slot in program

Marc Jansen jansen at terrestris.de
Fri Aug 27 09:50:33 EDT 2010

Hi list,

I mostly share the concerns expressed by Bart
(http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/foss4g2010/2010-August/000521.html,
original text below) regarding the presentation of the WMS benchmark
parallel to 17 other talks.

As Bart already said, the shootout was one of the highest ranked
abstracts of the last FOSS4G and the talk itself was one of the
definitive highlights of the conference. I'd guess that few people would
choose to miss the benchmark... and therefore lots of them are forced to
miss the talks running parallel.

I am aware that it is a *very* difficult task to build a nice programm
for everyone and I am sure that the local team did a good job so that
this years FOSS4G will be as interesting as ever, but I think that the
placement of the shootout/benchmark is a mistake that should be
corrected if possible.

Best regards,
Marc

Barts original email:

Hi list,

I want to express my concerns regarding the choice of the benchmark slot
in the FOSS4G 2010 program.

In 2009 the benchmark was a plenary event at the end of the conference,
and this made it very successfull, it was the highlight of the conference
for a lot of people. Almost everybody has an interest in the benchmark
exercise, so this makes it a good choice for a plenary event.

Also, I don't think it is fair to the people presenting in slots parallel
to the benchmark exercise, since they won't have a large audience for
sure. It also means that a lot of interesting presentations need be to
missed if one wants to attend the benchmark presentation.

I also think 1,5 hours is too long, 30-45 minutes would be perfect.

Would you please reconsider this?

TIA.

Best regards,
Bart