[Foss4g2011] Re: Foss4g2011; Presentation time allowance

Scott odonnell at peakpeak.com
Wed Feb 2 21:16:38 EST 2011

List,
In my opinion, presenting new, complex material in only
20 minutes is challenging at best.

Perhaps, rather than assume 'one size fits all', I suggest
you provide a mix, 30 minute sessions in the mornings
to accommodate 'new' innovation and 20 minute sessions
in the afternoons for 'updates' of familiar applications
and materials.

I'll not be presenting here this year, but in the past,
I've found that 20 minutes only allowed for a cursory
introduction of the addressed problem and its solution.
I recommend that longer presentation periods be provided for
'new' material.
If a presentation is simply an 'update' of previously
presented material, then I agree that 20 minutes probably
sufficient.

In presentations I've made. I found it necessary to present
the context and educate the audience to the problem.  This
can easily require 10 minutes or more.
To expect the presenter to provide 'new' conceptual
solutions in the remaining five (or 8) minutes and
present conclusions, plus allow a brief Q&A period
afterward is difficult and IMO generally inadequate,
thus my recommendation for a mix of 20 *and* 30 minute
sessions.

Regards,
Scott O'Donnell
odonnell at peakpeak.com