[Foss4g2013] [OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G 2013 Nottingham Update

Jeroen Ticheler jeroen.ticheler at geocat.net
Fri May 10 09:33:14 PDT 2013

Hi Peter,
Open processes also have open discussions and although I think we all agree we should go easy on LoC's I have a problem with you asking us to not discuss selection criteria as a follow up on emails coming from LoC members. I've taken this off the Discuss list to the foss4g2013 list though, because I think it is an important discussion but not necessarily on the wider Discuss list.

That said, I also think we have the right and reasons to be informed on reasons for turning down proposals, or in absence of that to ask questions or start discussions about selection criteria.

I can only speak for my own business, but I'm convinced others have similar thoughts. Organizing workshops and presentations is good for us, as it is good for those that participate. At least that is what we strive for. We invest a lot in giving them, both in terms of energy as well as in actual money. We support OSGeo, FOSS4G, open source projects, students et cetera. As commercial entities we're all in the same boat here. I just notice an imbalance in project and company representation. I won't have to explain that Barry's comment on high value workshops for free then causes a fire to start ;-)

My 2 cents, cheers,
Jeroen