[FOSS4G2016] [OSGeo-Conf] added risk analysis for FOSS4G in budget plannings

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Mon Aug 31 01:34:00 PDT 2015

Marc,

I agree with the "yes/no" - in my risk analysis came out, that - based
on the actual calculation, a conference with 300 people would cause a
loss of 100k. That's the same, as cancellation two month in advance. So
in any way, a smaller conference is better than none.

But.
Your idea only regardng the key-consts is wuite well, but in my risk
analysis I already did this more or less. I regarded mostly the big
points and added a variable "20%" for all other costs. The point is,
there is no much variability.

For instance: It doen't matter we find a "sponsor" for catering, we'll
have to sign contracts with the caterer quiet early, so it's difficult
to keep that out - regardless, who is paying in the end.

Of course we might save T-Shirts, USB-sticks, reduce number of
volunteers, and so on and so on. But that's not the big costs.

All togehter I am quite sure, that we need a backup for 100k -
regardless where from.

Till