[FOSS4G2016] minutes IRC chat 17.12.2015 // Key Topics

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Fri Dec 18 06:25:38 PST 2015

Hi list!

I just finished the minutes for our yesrterday IRC chat here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2016_Meeting_minutes#Agenda

For those, who don't read the minutes, one important point here (;-)):
In order to get PR&M in motion we need contents, as we do not have
program contents until may, we need to fix keynoters and also
key-topics, which then should be stressed by a keynote as early as
possible. Until now, we made some efforts in this direction, but it
didn't work correctly.

Yesterday we decided the following:
1. Key Topics must be fixed until 7th of January 2016
2. Proposed topics up to now are:
  -Remote Sensing/Copernikus
  -Open Data
  -Land Information

List is here: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/2016_Key_Topics
topics also discussed here: http://foss4g2016.org/redmine/issues/64  -
there are several more named key-topics, mostly derived from former
conferences like Development, Use, Big Data/Open Data, SDI, 3D/SfM, Web,
Standards, also we discussed about CMS.

I suggest also the following:
- at least we shouldn't have more than 4-5 key-topics. I think 4 is a
good number, remember, we time for around 6 keynotes in general.
- for every key topic, there is one LOC-person in power, that "manages"
this key topic. Means planning all activities like keynotes, workshops,
topic-talks and so on related to this key-topic.
- as I already started lots of effort in direction of remote
sensing/Copernikus I would take the hat for this key-topic.

Please comment on the latter!

Till