[FOSS4G2016] Key Topics: open data

Codrina Maria Ilie codrina at geo-spatial.org
Tue Dec 29 05:59:51 PST 2015

Hi all,

I think it is a highly appropriate theme and I am 100% up to support and
to get actively involved in making open data a key topic for foss4g
2016, as I was saying the first time we talked about the matter in
September. I am just copy-pasting my initial email here

"Hi Bart and everyone,

Thank you for raising that question.

As Gert already pointed out, we had a dedicated Open Data track at the
FOSS4G Europe 2015 in Como. As Chair of that track, I can say that the
response of the community was far from faded. We had more papers
submitted than expected and even had to redirect some towards the poster
session. In my personal humble opinion, this was a very clear sign of
the growing interest in open (geo)data and, even more, that there are
activities already reaching maturity around the topic.

To better understand what we wanted to do, would be to read the call for
papers [1] we put out for this track.

This was not a singular communion though that I was part of. In 2013, at
FOSS4G Central Easter Europe [2], we organized an open data side event
[3] with representatives from Open Government Partnership [4] and Open
Knowledge [5].

IMHO, the conferences and events around open data are not less abundant
than at the start of this initiative. I think we are experiencing a
coagulation of the open data related events. The topic has been
constantly expanding in complexity, as it bares many facets, from
economic to social, from legislative to transparent and accountable gov
administration and so on. The number of organizations around the world
that are actively working, supporting and promoting the open data
movement is ever growing. Even more, EU and not only is heavily
investing in the topic, most often related to the idea of smart cities,
ex: [6]. Furthermore, all sorts of indexes giving ranks to countries,
regions or cities as "how open they are", or indexes of how, where, with
what social/ economic impact open data is used, have already been around
for 3-4 years [7], [8], [9], [10].
Furthermore, European agencies, such as the European Space Agency has
implemented an open data policy for Sentinel data products acquired
through Copernicus program [11]. Building on that, EU is launching calls
[12] to support smart applications that use the open data made available.
As a significant amount of data that an entity (nation, city, community,
agency) produces and/or collects is spatial, a lot of applications tend
to be geo-based. And behold, a beautiful connection to FOSS4G. The
cultures of open source and open data are very closely related indeed
and I couldn't agree more that we should keep the momentum built at
FOSS4G Europe 2015. Furthermore, I would be very happy to be part of the
open data team, as I have some experience in the area by being part of
the GEOIDEA.RO [13] project and actively collaborating with Open
Knowledge for some time now.

Best regards,
Codrina

[1] http://europe.foss4g.org/2015/Call_opendata-track
[2] http://2013.foss4g-cee.org/
[3] http://2013.foss4g-cee.org/program/opendata
[4] http://www.opengovpartnership.org/
[5] https://okfn.org/
[6] cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/191779_en.html
[7] http://index.okfn.org/
[8] http://barometer.opendataresearch.org/index.html
[9] http://www.epsiplatform.eu/content/european-psi-scoreboard
[10] http://www.opendata500.com/