[FOSS4G2016] meeting toninght in Bonn: goals for 2016

Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting OSGeo.nl gert-jan at osgeo.nl
Wed Jun 10 10:10:18 PDT 2015

Hello "team-2016",

As mentioned earlier, I can't attend tonight's meeting in Bonn.

Just a few last-minute thoughts (also on behalf of Marc Vloemans, who's is
since last month a fellow Dutch board member)

- Marc and I both offered to handle the marketing aspect. However, a German

- A structure who's responsible for which organisation topic, and how these
topics are linked together is very valuable.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2016_Chairs is a good start for that, just
add the linkage between the topics (for instance: sponsorship and PR are
related)

- The same goes for co-operation with other organisations, such as a
Professional Congres Organisation, Textkoch,  Bonn Tourismus etc.

- On page 7 of the of our bid, our proposals are set. in short:

   - Link FOSS4G with Open data

  - Bring people together

  - 10th anniversary of FOSS4G

Apart from that, a goal is to raise money for the foundation (as stated on
page 8)

Througout the remainder of the bid, several "pseudo-goals" are set, such as
1000 participants, delegates from all over Europe and the rest of the world,
a diverse program.

I think it would be great if we can elaborate on these formal and non-formal
goals: how much Eurepean countries must be represented. What type of
audience do we aim at (50% developers?, 50% people with a "traditional
geo-background"?  50% not-geospatial-experts-but-users from-other-domains?)

But also: do we only want media-exposure in advance, in order to fill the
1000 seats. Or do we want the (ICT/geospatial/local) media to attend FOSS4G
in order to "let the world know about FOSS4G"

After all, clear goals make it easier for the "marketing department" to
reach these goals ;-)

It's just a thought. I'd like to hear your opinion on this.

Have a good kick-off meeting tonight, and I hope to see you all in Como.

Regards,

Gert-Jan

btw: the osgeo.nl domain currently has some problems with the mail. Will be
solved soon, I expect.