[FOSS4G2016] State of the Map (SOTM) 2016 in Brussels

Frederik Ramm frederik.ramm at fossgis.de
Wed Jun 24 06:02:02 PDT 2015

Hi,

On 06/24/2015 01:59 PM, till.adams at fossgis.de wrote:
> that is an interesting point. I included Fred in this email, because he
> is very close to the national and internaitonal OSM community.
> Maybe the SOTM'ers have the possibilities to come very close to our
> "end of august 2016" date - so we can benefit from each other due to the
> close locations (300km, about 2.5h per train)
>
> @Fred: Do you know the people behind SOTM 2016?

SOTM is organised jointly by a local team (Ben Abelshausen is involved,
he's been to a few hack weekends here at the Geofabrik office) and an
international working group (of which I know a few members).

I think they had originally planned to use the same location as FOSDEM,
and are currently investigating if maybe the European Parliament is an
option (after seeing SOTM-US happening at the UN headquarters).

I assume that the date will be dictated by the availability of the venue.

I'm pretty sure they are looking at us (they write: "We are not sure
about a date just yet. We should take into account other events and most
of the event related to SOTM do not have a fixed date yet.") - then
again I'm not a big fan of trying very hard to place the events near to
each other because I think that the number of people who would travel
far enough to make a dual visit attractive, *and* have enough leisure
time/money to make it possible, is rather small.

If you want I can send a message to the SOTM-WG chairperson (Rob
Nickerson) and ask them to get in touch with you.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm