[FOSS4G2016] LocationTech collab For Bonn?

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Thu Nov 5 14:57:15 PST 2015

Hi,

I agree with Shangee, that being inclusive is good.
But that sounds like FOSS4G would be exclusive, which is definitely
not the case:
There is no LocationTech nor any not incubated or other project
prohibited to submit a presentation or become a sponsor or exhibitor.
It just needs to be about free and open source software. That's why
it's called the FOSS4G conference and not OSGeo conference, right?

So in my opinion nobody prevents LocationTech to make use of their
huge mailing lists and contacts to spread the word about FOSS4G. It's
possible to become a sponsor, submit proposals, encourage the network
to attend, etc.. Every contribution and support is appreciated.

And if there are in the end lots of great presentation submissions
about or from LocationTech projects, why not group them in a special
track with that name. That's what is usually done by the program
committee anyway, when the program is put together.

But I also agree with Jeff, that it would be wrong to promote certain
tracks before the submission. And I don't see a reason to this,
because it can be done afterwards.
There are just these few exceptions like "Academic Track" and maybe
the "UN Track", and I don't know if it's a good idea to do this or
not. But maybe there is an intent to particularly promote
participation from these communities, which makes sense if they
wouldn't do otherwise. But for LocationTech projects I would expect,
that they participate as they did in the past as well.

Regards,
Daniel