[FOSS4G2016] LocationTech collab For Bonn?

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Fri Nov 6 04:13:19 PST 2015

Hi all,

personally I really like the idea, to get LocationTech i/onto our
conference  - but the roles must be clear: I wouldn't like to give the
steering wheel away not even for a few kilometers. We all know what
plannings of a conference is a long process - so it makes no sense to
give somebody the steering wheel just for a while.

So my thoughts are these:
Co-operation yes (and of course I have an eye on their 120k email
distributor ;-)), kind of "track" where they can represent their
projects - why not? The bigger problem we have is, that we have to come
to a decision what "track" really means and put this into one format
under which we can put numerous requests for "special tracks" (I get
nearly daily requests for "special tracks" in the moment ;-)). And if
one of these tracks is called "LocationTech projects track" - I am fine
with that. But some ideas on that format later.

First, my thoughts on "how do we present OSGeo projects" (and I agree,
that they should occupy a central position on an OSGeo conference):
- we have planned a "beginner's "OSGeo/OSGeo projects" introduction" -
as they did at least in Denver and we also do at FOSSGIS conferences.
This introduction of course should be focussed on our projects. I've
reminded Volker on that topic a few days before.
- we have the OSGeo booth, which is first point of contact for
everybody seeking help in OSGeo projects
- we have the workshops, which are traditionally with a focus on
"Introduction to GeoServer/PostGIS/OpenLayers/[whatever]" or even more
specialized workshops on special topics you can do with OSgeo projects.
ProgComm should keep an eye on that when doing workshop selection.
- we also traditionally have a lot of talks from the players behind the
projects such as Paul, Jeff, Andrea, Andreas, Tim, [...] or whoever
representing "their" projects status. ProgComm also should keep an eye
on that as well
- in general we promised already in our proposal to focus our event on
OSGeo. And we do that!
- finally, why not find a place in the programme where somebody
explains the relation-ship between both foundations? Could be your Job
Jeff (when doing one of the countless talks on the podium ;-))

Okay. As said, I have many requests and/or ideas for "special tracks"
in the moment and I feel, that this at least gets worse in the next
weeks ;-).
But:
What is a special "track"? Is it a conglomerat of talks within one
session? Is it a "topic dedicated day" ? How do we organize this?
... and here comes my idea:
I've just been in Berlin on a two day symposium on "Copernicus" (an
european remote sensing programme delivering Open Data ;-)). Their
sessions, lasting 90 minutes, were called "workshops" and moderated by a
chair. Inside the worksohps, they had 3-4 (short) talks and tried to
generate a discussion afterwards. All these workshops were dedicated to
a speciific topic, such as "Copernicus and Business" or "Copernicus and
Desaster Management" and so on. The chair was obviously responsible for
the presenters  in his/her workshop and did more a session chair in our
sessions did. S/he really moderated the whole workshop with their own
words.
To be honest: I really liked that format, although this would mean,
that there are talks, which are not selected by community and ProgComm.
Maybe such "sessions/tracks" should be selected by community/ProgComm
before?
We might dedicate one of our session rooms for one/two/three days to
these specialized "topic driven workshops" or however we name it.....

And, last, we also can have one if these "topic driven workshops"
dedicated to OSGeo projects as well.... ;-)

So far, Till

Am 2015-11-05 19:57, schrieb Marc Vloemans:
> Jeff
>
> Thanks for trying to keep us on the straight and narrow.
> But narrow or too narrow is the question, here.
>
> If a track with some of LocTec projects is to be a threat to the
> overall programme, then that says more of the weak situation we as a
> OSGeo community are thinking we are in.
>
> If GeoWave works on GeoServer technically, then why not present
> together at a conference.....
>
> Vriendelijke groet,
> Marc Vloemans
>

> Ich hoffe, das ich damit den besseren Tausch gemacht habe :wink:
> {#emotions_dlg.beer}

[/quote]