[FOSS4G2016] Regarding 10th anniversary

Marc Vloemans mvloemans at boundlessgeo.com
Mon Nov 16 03:54:51 PST 2015

Till et al

Regarding our sub-text/proposition....I prefer to stick to one pay-off line, the original one; Building Bridges!
Communicating more than one pay-off line in the same mail/poster/other broadcast is bad-practice in PR/Communication. (think also of the number of other items to be mentioned; sponsors/partners/program items/invitation to attend/etc). It is comparable to redundant/non-functional and even conflicting code lines on your screen....it looks like cheap 'discounting' retail practice.

And besides; Buiding Bridges conveys added value, a promise to attendees, a positive signal to the world. Just another 10-year claim pales in comparison, it will undoubtedly reap new and elongated list-threads and deviates our focus.

Unfortunately I have on monday afternoons/early evenings structurally a couple of conference/team calls with the US. Attending the IRC meeting is next to impossible for me, unfortunately.

Kind regards,
Marc Vloemans

> Op 16 nov. 2015 om 10:36 heeft till.adams at fossgis.de het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hey Bart,
>
> no problem with that! We germans are experts. We also had two "first german speaking UMN Mapserver meetings" (as Jörg can remember)  - and we got that managed ;-)
>
> Perhaps an issue for PR&M how far we gonna emphasize that?
>
> Till
>

> Am 2015-11-16 09:01, schrieb Bart van den Eijnden:
>> I share Anton’s concerns. Portland marketed themselves as 10th FOSS4G
>> (and these was extensive discussion on the mailing list how they came
>> to this), I don’t think we can do this again. It only leads to
>> confusion.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bart
>>
>>> On 16 Nov 2015, at 08:38, till.adams at fossgis.de wrote:
>>>
>>> Anton,
>>>
>>> it's in the eye of the beholder. But we are the only really, really true 10th anniversary.
>>>
>>> First FOSS4G-named worldwide-conference was Lausanne 2006. Before there was an OSG2005 in Minneapolis.
>>>
>>> So
>>>
>>> 1. 2006 Lausanne,
>>> 2. 2007 Victoria,
>>> 3. 2008 Cape Town,