[FOSS4G2016] weekly update 04.09.2015: early bird pricing in three tiers?

Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting OSGeo.nl gert-jan at osgeo.nl
Sun Sep 6 06:09:50 PDT 2015

Hi Till and others LOC-ers,

Thanks for the weekly update.

In the weekly update I read about the Early Bird discount.
Is the mentioned maximum of 5% about the price (e.g. 615 Euros instead of
650 Euros) or about the maximum number of early bird tickets that will be
available (5% of 1000 tickets = 50)?
I support the effort to keep an eye on the finances. However, I feel that
just a 5% discount isn't that much of a stimulus for early registration.

I just had a look at the metrics from previous conferences
(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdEZoOUtSeVZRVWtKQz
V6R2N5ekdSdlE&usp=sharing#gid=57, leftmost tab "regdate")

Over the years, in general 50% of the registrations is done as an "early
bird" registration.
Half of the EBird registrations are done in the last 2 weeks before closing
the EBird registrations. I suppose at least partly because of the media
fuzz: "last chance for early bird registration"

An option might be to make it a three-tier pricing: a 10% ("early bird")
discount until somewhere in March/April, a 5% ("presale") discount somewhere
in May/June, and the regular (100%) price after that.
This also creates an extra media-fuzz-moment.

regards,

Gert-Jan