[FOSS4G2016] open data track / cross-over at FOSS4G?

Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting OSGeo.nl gert-jan at osgeo.nl
Sat Sep 26 02:39:17 PDT 2015

Hi Bart and LOC,

I think that's an excellent theme (I guess you knew that already).

FOSS4G-EU (Como) had an open data track: (http://europe.foss4g.org/2015/Program, day 3, room v.08.)

At least in The Netherlands the "open data" and the "geo" ecosystems are closely related (not just from a FOSS4G perspective, also from our proprietary software colleagues, as well as from the geo-adminstrative organisations).

It open doors towards a few new eocsystems: app & web developers who are looking for open spatial data (demand) , data providers who want to know how to get their open data to the users (supply), administrations (who have to obey to European rules on open data) and other domains (e.q. statistical departments) for whom the open data development in the (open) spatial ecosystem can serve as a best practice.

And after all, the second of the 11 OSGeo goals is " To promote freely available geodata - free software is useless without data."

Kind regards,

GJ