[FOSS4G2016] "Geo4All - MapStory Challenge" - FOSS4G 2016 Student Competitions

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Wed Sep 30 16:13:40 PDT 2015

Hi Suchith,

Probably I didn't get the whole story, so sorry if it was said before.
I'm wondering why this award should have "MapStory" in the name. It
will be an award for students, so one requirement will be, that only
students can participate. But if you name it "Geo4All - MapStory
Challenge" everybody will understand that you must use MapStory.

You wouldn't call it the next year "Geo4All - PostGIS Challenge" for
instance, would you? Even if it had an OSGeo project in the name it
would be discriminating against others.

So I understand Jeff's point. And I think there is a really simple
solution by just naming it "Geo4All Challenge 2016" without
highlighting any particular project and leave this up to the students
to be creative. Nobody wants to exclude MapStory from being used in
the challenge. It's just about the naming of the challenge.

Best,
Daniel