[FOSS4G2016] [Program] Trim down meeting

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 04:04:13 PDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am late to this discussion, apologies if this is irrelevant.
>
> In 2013 we got each of the selection group to rank abstracts from 1 to 100 put that into a spreadsheet alongside the community ranking and then used that as a first basis for selecting talks. We then did a second pass to avoid having individuals or companies having too many speakers (not much change) and then a third pass to enable us to do some grouping of talks (a few in and a few out at the margins). Finally we had about 10 or 12 talks that we kept on standby until we had confirmation from all of the accepted speakers that they intended to present ( a few dropped out).
>
> It is worth having a few standby’s even after the programme is published as you we had some infuriating let downs just before the event.

I've also been thinking about doing thematic grouping. While reading
the abstracts I sometimes thought eg: yet another SDI, yet another
talk on styling geoserver, ... If the abstracts were already grouped I
think it would be easier to distinguish which ones should be kept,
which ones can go out. In a few cases presenters may be suggested to
do a joint presentation?
Perhaps if we go over the full list the first time we should already
assign it to one or more groups (with a limited list), eg community;
routing; SDI; ...

Kind Regards,
Johan