[FOSS4G2017] Iron Mapper

Guido Stein gstein at appgeo.com
Thu Sep 15 10:14:50 PDT 2016

This sounds awesome and I think it will blend well with the map gallery
idea, it could be a nice way to draw attention to all the maps in the map
gallery.

Keith, can you work with Heather on this?

-guido

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 1:04 PM Keith Jenkins <kgj2 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Guido has suggested an "Iron Mapper" event for FOSS4G Boston.
>
> Back in 2012, Diana Sinton organized an "Iron Mapper" event here at
> Cornell University.  Inspired by "Iron Chefs", participants were
> tasked with creating a map within 30 minutes (or maybe 60 minutes, I
> can't remember).  Each map had to use a specific dataset (the "secret
> ingredient") that was revealed at the start of the event.  I think
> some other basic datasets were provided, but participants were allow
> to download and use any other data they wanted to use.  At the end,
> each person showed their map, and described what they did (maybe 1
> minute each?) and then we all voted (somehow) on our favorites, and a
> couple prizes were awarded to the winners.
>
> It was great to see the variety of maps that were produced, and also
> what could be accomplished in a short amount of time.
>
> I think this could be a fun addition to FOSS4G, and the resulting maps
> could possibly be funneled into a larger Map Gallery, or not,
> depending on the wishes of the map gallery folks.  It could just be a
> stand-alone event.
>
> I think it would be relatively easy to organize.  Here's what would be
> needed:
>
> * a room/space for the event
> * someone to pick the "secret ingredient" dataset and explain the rules
> * someone to manage the submissions
> * someone to organize the voting
>
> Of course, some of those someones could be the same person.
>
> If this is something that the LOC would like to include in the
> program, I'd be happy to help make it happen.  Are others interested?
>
> Cheers,
> Keith

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise
authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute,
disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this
e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material
in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).