US Army Core of Engineers Project Funding - OSGeo Binary Builds

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 12 14:49:49 EDT 2006

Folks,

An acquaintance has suggested to me that that OSGeo might be able to
solicit funding for a project to prepare certified OSGeo software builds
from the US Army Core of Engineers.  The following document lists a variety
of US ACE labs, and their focus activities for possible funding.

   http://www.mvk.usace.army.mil/contract/docs/FY2006BAA1.pdf

While much of this is esoteric and/or very researchy, it seems like
CRREL-62 might be one we could apply for funding against.

Quoting:

"""
     GIS Technologies for Environmental and Geological Applications (CRREL-62)

F. Geophysical Information Systems (GIS) are developed for basic and
applied research in the geological and environmental sciences. GIS
technologies are also applied to investigation and analysis of environmental,
engineering and other problems in cold regions environments.  GIS programs
are written to interface with custom and commercial software, particularly
three-and four-dimensional models that utilize spatial databases accessed by
GIS's. Custom WEBB interfaces are developed for remote GIS and spatial
database access. WEBB and GIS technologies are developed for real-time remote
data acquisition and near real-time model analyses for application to
research, engineering and environmental problems. (Contacts: Dr. D. Lawson,
  603-646-4344; and Mr. J. Schlagel, 603-646-4387)
"""

I've cc:ed Mark since the contact was partly a spinoff of his recent paper.
Also, it was suggested someone with DOD contracting experience might be
useful in preparing a proposal.

I'm not clear on what levels of funding might be available from such a
program.  The board has been using a guess that $50K US would allow us to
get a good start on such a project.   I would add that pre-prepared binary
builds was also something that Arnulf thought he might be able to find
some funding for in Germany, and I think it was once raised as a possibility
that this might be the sort of thing that NRCan might provide some funding
for.

While this is all outside the main sponsorship program, I think this could
be a good specific high leverage project we could try and solicit financial
support for.

Best regards,