[Fundraising] Just some thoughts about justifying expenses

Gary Lang gary.lang at autodesk.com
Mon May 1 21:35:59 EDT 2006

This is a pretty thoughtful piece. I really have to chew on it a bit.

That said, off the top of my head:

1) Not too persuasive, though if I heard that ACE was foundering and
needed money for something I'd give money to whatever body sponsors it
the most. I myself have paid Riverace for their pre-packed/supported
versions of ACE.

2) Interesting; this is the one (I think) that Frank feels will persuade
donors to work with us. I very much like your commodification comment. I
think a related one is that if the software is being put forth by and is
sponsored by a company who is perceived to have unlimited resources to
develop it, donations may actually be hurt. So I can see a scenario in
which MapGuide slows down funding participation by others just by us
being involved.

3) The ROI calculation is always useful.

Given 2) and 3) one might well agree with your conclusion.

Gary