[Fundraising] Motion: Adopt Project Sponsorship Proposal

Gary Lang gary.lang at autodesk.com
Mon Oct 16 18:50:01 EDT 2006

Got it.

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Warmerdam (External)
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 3:45 PM
To: fundraising at fundraising.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [Fundraising] Motion: Adopt Project Sponsorship Proposal

Gary Lang wrote:
> 1) As we look at the budget, can we come up with a list of sponsorship

> targets, from which a resonable probability can be derived that the
> budget will be met?
> 2) If the answer to 1) is yes, what is the mix of sponsorship levels
> required to meet the budget? Are we sure that the funding levels are
> adequate?
>
> I will assume that the levels in the document below are comparable to
> other foundations comparable to OSgeo.

Gary,

First, I'd stress that Project Sponsorship is primarily aimed at
supporting the projects directly as opposed to supporting the foundation
as a whole.
The earlier Foundation Sponsorship program (passed by the board) was
aimed at raising funds to support the foundation as a whole.

The income projection:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Income_Projection

offers one possible scenario for income which is at least roughly in
line with the spending budget.  I don't believe this includes any income
from project sponsorship.  The core income in this is 3 50K
sponsorships, 10 10K sponsors and 25 2.5K sponsorships.  This was based
on slightly different categories than our final foundation sponsorship,
but the overall
effect is not too different.   You might want to review the Foundation
Sponsorship proposal at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Foundation_Sponsorship

I can name four likely candidates for the three $50K sponsorships, so I
think this is plausible though a couple no's would put us in an pinch.
I can't name likely candidates for all the remaining sponsorships,
though I have a few lined up essentially waiting for the program to be
properly in place.

I can't provide any decent degree of certainty that we will meet our
target but it all seems plausible to me.

Best regards,
warmerdam at pobox.com
and watch the world go round - Rush    | President OSGeo,
http://osgeo.org