[OSGeo-Fundraising] Members donations...

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Jul 4 18:39:07 EDT 2007

On 4-Jul-07, at 3:47 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I don't this being done, and I understand that the paypal account
> for the foundation is already setup.

Yes, and please note that the address for our paypal account has
changed to:
- paypal at osgeo.org

> But I don't understand how member donations are necessary for the
> 501c3
> application.  We need to demonstrate public support within 3 years
> which
> is implied by various technical criteria showing that our financial
> support comes from a variety of sources.  But I wasn't aware this was
> important in the application process.  Are you sure about this?

It does not appear to be critical, but is just additional
confidence.  There is room for it on the application form, that is all.

I'll have to dig up the archives of discussion or wiki pages re:
associate or supporting membership and how we thought we could do
this before.  I can see two different levels: one that is simply a
small donation in exchange for status, the other will be a larger
donation but gets a t-shirt or hat.  Does that fit the kind of
discussions/brainstorming others have had in mind?

Tyler