[OSGeo-Fundraising] Members donations...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 4 18:47:45 EDT 2007

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> Some of the grants and donations side of things requires having our
> charitable status application in.  But as part of this application they
> also like to see members donating - showing general public support for
> the foundation.
>
> Rather than get stuck in a chicken-or-egg recursive loop, I was thinking
> we could open up the ability to receive donations by putting a donate
> now PayPal button on the web site.
>
> Do you think it will be used?  I can handle getting it done, but wanted
> to pass the idea by you too.

Tyler,

I don't this being done, and I understand that the paypal account
for the foundation is already setup.

But I don't understand how member donations are necessary for the 501c3
application.  We need to demonstrate public support within 3 years which
is implied by various technical criteria showing that our financial
support comes from a variety of sources.  But I wasn't aware this was
important in the application process.  Are you sure about this?

I wouldn't want our 501c3 application getting hung up on this point.  I'd
add that individual donations (from Americans) will be noticably more
palatable once we have our 501c3 status.

Best regards,