[OSGeo-Fundraising] Small Donation Levels

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jul 13 16:36:39 EDT 2007

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> In our income projection page:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Income_Projection
> .. we reference Supporting Memberships at $40. I believe we had thought
> this would come with some perk - i.e. a tshirt or hat.  This is also
> discussed on a fundraising brainstorm page:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Fundraising#Other
>
> I'm not sure $40 will be enough for international costs, considering
> that some of the short run shirts costs more than half that cost,
> including bulk shipping.  But we can probably get lower quality than
> before or increase this level of membership.

Tyler,

The plan at the time was that we would offer a T-shirt on the online
store price at $40 + the cost of the shirt as a "supporting membership".
That way the normal online store mechanisms take care of the money
collection and shipping of the shirt.

We did want to ensure we could get a list of folks who did this though,
so we could add them to an honour roll of supporting members.

> Whereas an Associate Membership at a lower amount would be for status
> and maybe a logo only (i.e. no perk).  I put it in at $15.  I don't see
> a lot of discussion around this concept though.

Note that there seemed to be a pretty clear consensus at the face to
face in SF that the normal membership should be free.  What do you
have in mind for "associate membership"?   I think the idea was that
there would be a "member" who essentially fills out an online form
with some contact info but is otherwise not charged anything. Then
there would be a supporting member, who via the t-shirt mechanism
pays $40 but otherwise gets no perks other than possible being listed
on an honour roll.

I'm not especially in favor of throwing in cheap conference attendance
as a perk since it just seems to complicate things but I don't feel
strongly either way on that issue.

Best regards,