[fusion-dev] Mapguide Tiled Map Legends - redundant checkboxes

pspencer at dmsolutions.ca pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Nov 7 08:29:08 EST 2008

Thanks Zac.  As discussed elsewhere on the list, I think we need to figure out what is the best way to represent base layers vs overlays vs singleTile layers vs tiled layers.  Part of the confusion here is that what I typically think of as a Map is really just a Layer in OpenLayers terms.  OpenLayers has no concept of turning on and off layers within Layers, so Fusion provides this for MapGuide and MapServer OpenLayers layers.  This complicates things.

1) I think the legend really needs to be redone based on hooking into OpenLayers underlying layer mechanism rather than Fusion's mechanism (I need to review this carefully).

2) I think that base layers should be grouped using radio buttons somehow, just as the OpenLayers LayerSwitcher does

3) I think that layers that are singleTile true can have controls for individual layers within the OpenLayers layer

4) I think that singleTile false layers should not be controllable.

To make things even better, I know that some people think that there should be mutually exclusive layers in a MapGuide map and those should be represented as radio buttons regardless of the overall architecture.

A complete refactoring of the legend code seems beyond the scope of what I have planned for the 2.0 release, but I'd really like to come up with a set of specs for a more complete legend that is fully functional and useful.

Comments welcome on this.