[fusion-users] Multiple versions of prototype.js

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Nov 13 13:16:36 EST 2008

Stuart

it is not possible to use two different versions of prototype at the
same time, nor will it be possible for you to use the new version
based on MooTools with a version of prototype.  This is an artefact of
how Prototype and MooTools are built (something I didn't appreciate
until recently myself).

Your realistic choices are:

1) load your Fusion application into your web page using an iframe or
frame, thereby separating the two versions of prototype

2) replace the version of prototype used in Fusion (via the Jx
library) with your version and deal with any issues this creates in
Fusion/Jx

3) update your code to use the newer version of Prototype that comes
with Fusion

Only the first option will protect you from upgrading to MapGuide 2.1/
Fusion 2.0 (the version that will include MooTools).  Even if you
modify Fusion to use your version of prototype now, you will
eventually have to migrate your code to MooTools if you plan on
upgrading to MGOS 2.1 or a future MGE version.

Sorry for the pain this is likely going to cause you.  Had I realized
the implications of choosing MooTools, things might have gone
differently early on.  However, it is too late at this point to go
back on that decision in the near future.

Cheers

Paul