[fusion-users] Creating Widgets vs. Creating .NET pages to run in TaskFrame

MikeB MikeB at plan-tech.com
Fri Oct 1 14:24:35 EDT 2010

I was successful getting fusion website running on 2010 along with using
openlayers to code yahoo map baselayer and add some very basic markers and
zoom to selection functionality.  My methodology was to create a .NET page
and run it in the taskframe.  This page then called javascript functions
residing in the fusion index.htm page to interact with map (using
openlayers).

I have looked at the code for widgets numerous times which are included in
MapGuide Enterprise. However, the widget methodology (and php syntax) just
hasn't clicked with me. At present, it still appears confusing to me??

My question(s):

1. To customize/extend functionalities with fusion templates is widget
creation/programming necessary? Or can anything accomplished with widgets
also be accomplished with javascript/openlayers originating from custom .NET
pages running in TaskFrame?

2. Is there a particular advantage to using widgets vs. coding custom
taskframe pages in html/C#/VB.NET and calling javascript/openlayers routines
as needed to interact with map and/or get map information?

3. If there is compelling reason to use the widget methodology for extending
fusion does anyone have any links/tips on getting over the initial hurdles?
Or recommend a consulting co./individual with widget writing expertise who I
might consider paying fee to in order to assist in getting over early
frustrations?