[gdal-dev] reading Arc/Info Binary Grid

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at h...
Wed Nov 8 01:19:54 EST 2000

Robert Denham wrote:

> Hi all,
> thanks for a great library of code, I am looking forward to some
> fun programming.
>
> My problem is with reading Arc/Info Binary Grids, and more specifically
> with getting prjection information from them.

Robert,

There is no problem with your code. The Arc/Info grid reader just doesn't
do any translation of projection information. In my experience relatively
few binary grid coverages have .prj files, and implementing good translation
of .prj to OpenGIS WKT is not a trivial job. However, once done it could
be useful in other contexts as well, so I am interested it doing it eventually.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to do some simple translation now.

What does your .prj file look like in your grid coverage?