[gdal-dev] normal USGS DEM?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Sun Jul 15 23:34:02 EDT 2001

Ben Discoe wrote:

> I noticed today that OpenEV/GDAL doesn't actually appear to support normal
> USGS DEMs (non-SDTS), which are one of the most common formats out there...
> it's not a big issue, since the VTP and plenty of other libraries already
> provide open source for reading DEMs, but i was curious as to why there is
> this odd ommision from the otherwise comprehensive list of GDAL-supported
> formats?

Ben,

In my previous life at PCI I spent alot of miserable effort supporting a wide
variety of USGS DEM products. Different LF/CF configurations, some with fixed
length records, some with variable, some screwed up files from ESRI software,
etc. Anyways, no one has had much interest in old style DEMs in GDAL and my
previously experienced with them weren't so pleasant so I haven't bothered.

If you can point me to some relatively straight forward code for reading them,
and some sample files, I would be willing to add the format.