Is there a driver to import USGS DEMs (non SDTS)?

Aleksey naumov at a...
Mon Nov 26 12:58:52 EST 2001

Hi,

I am trying to use GDAL to import a USGS DEM data set (into GRASS using the
r.in.gdal module). The datasets are 10-meter New York State DEMs available
from the Cornell University CUGIR site
(http://cugir.mannlib.cornell.edu/index.html; Go to "Search CUGIR data" and
enter "DEM").

As I can see from their metadata (available at the same site), the datasets
are not in SDTS, but rather in USGS ASCII format with the header record
(A-record), followed by a series of profile records (B-records), and an
accuracy record (C-record). The format seems to be (an older?) standard to
USGS, it's documented at: http://rockyweb.cr.usgs.gov/nmpstds/demstds.html
(part2).

Is there a way to read in such datasets with GDAL? In the GDAL tree (version
1.1.5, built on Linux) I see frmts/usgsdem, but it is empty. Any
suggestions/ideas?

Thank you

Aleksey