[gdal-dev] Is there a driver to import USGS DEMs (non SDTS)?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Tue Nov 27 10:10:05 EST 2001

Aleksey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use GDAL to import a USGS DEM data set (into GRASS using the
> r.in.gdal module). The datasets are 10-meter New York State DEMs available
> from the Cornell University CUGIR site
> (http://cugir.mannlib.cornell.edu/index.html; Go to "Search CUGIR data" and
> enter "DEM").
>
> As I can see from their metadata (available at the same site), the datasets
> are not in SDTS, but rather in USGS ASCII format with the header record
> (A-record), followed by a series of profile records (B-records), and an
> accuracy record (C-record). The format seems to be (an older?) standard to
> USGS, it's documented at: http://rockyweb.cr.usgs.gov/nmpstds/demstds.html
> (part2).
>
> Is there a way to read in such datasets with GDAL? In the GDAL tree
> (version
> 1.1.5, built on Linux) I see frmts/usgsdem, but it is empty. Any
> suggestions/ideas?
>
> Thank you
>
> Aleksey

Aleksey,

I had started on a USGS DEM driver based on some VTP code a few months ago
but never finished it. However, driven forward by your request I have
completed it, and checked it in. It seems to work well, thanks for Ben Discoe's
VTP code!

If you want to use it, you will need to rebuild from CVS.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...