Virtual dataset - how to?

Joel Lawhead jlawhead at p...
Thu Apr 18 16:16:22 EDT 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Hi,

I've been having fun with GDAL 1.1.7 and Python 2.2.1 on Windows 2000. I was
wondering if anyone could give me an example or pointer to create a virtual
dataset for use with CreateCopy(). I realize Frank is working on rewriting
'gdal_translate' to use virtual datasets and was wondering if there were any
examples out there in C or preferably Python. I'm experimenting with
creating jpegs from other gdal formats.

I haven't located any direct examples in the list archive, gdal example
sources or OpenEV sources. I'm aware of the two-step method to create a JPEG
by doing the resampling in another format but was just curious about the
virtual dataset concept. At first glance it seems like that method might be
faster. I haven't checked the UMN MapServer source code to see whether it
uses the two-step process or virtual datasets to convert data to jpegs. If
I've overlooked anything please let me know.

I've been working with Perl for several years and Python for a couple of
years and in the last year have been introduced to the GIS/remote sensing
world. I started out trying to understand image manipulation using the
Python Imaging Library which lead me to GDAL. I've found GDAL a great tool
for learning about the different geo-spatial data formats.

What would be really nice would be a GDAL Cookbook' on the Yahoo Groups
site. More experienced programmers could post their successful code snippets
(maybe in the 'Files' section?) which would make it easy to find examples to
give us intermediate programmers a little boost. I found the API tutorial
on the GDAL site extremely helpful and would love to see more of those types
of examples. Once I get comfortable with GDAL in Python I'll try to write a
comprehensive tutorial about what I've learned.

Thanks,
Joel

Joel Lawhead, Web Application Developer, PixSell
Phone: (228)688-3391, Fax: (228)688-7262
<jlawhead at p...>
<www.pixsell.com>