[gdal-dev] Memory leaks?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Mon Aug 26 08:57:28 EDT 2002

Paul Selormey wrote:
> I think memory leaking should rather be a concern in the library,
> not me! wanting it. Currently, when the application shuts down there is no
> clean up - I do not think this is a normal practice. I will, however, submit
> it
> as an enhancement request, as you requested (have just created the bugzilla
> account).

Paul,

I consider a "fixed size" and modest memory leak to not be a bug. This is
basically static information that happens to be dynamically allocated on the
heap. It reached a fixed size which is only a couple of kilobytes and stays
there till the application terminates.

Of course if GDAL was leaking something that could mount up to alot of
memory it would be a bug and in need of fixing.

However, I see this issue as one of providing a mechanism for a program to
cleanup all memory to make memory leak checking easier.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...