[Gdal-dev] another build error

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Dec 11 13:21:35 EST 2002

Vladimir Slepnev wrote:
> Hello!
>
> It seems that GDAL build errors come in all sizes and colors.
> Here's my last one, from a CVS update of five minutes ago or so:
>
> gt_wkt_srs.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char
> const * __thiscall OGRSpatialReference::GetAuthorityCode(char const *)"
> (?GetAuthorityCode at OGRSpatialReference@@QAEPBDPBD at Z)
> gt_wkt_srs.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char
> const * __thiscall OGRSpatialReference::GetAuthorityName(char const *)"
> (?GetAuthorityName at OGRSpatialReference@@QAEPBDPBD at Z)
> gdal11.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
>
> And oh, how do I do a "make clean" under Windows 2000? To build gdal11.dll,
> I just run submake.bat.

Vladimir,

This is an issue of a method signature changing.  In general I don't make
the object files depend on the include files, so stuff doesn't properly get
recompiled when an include file changes.  I do it this way to avoid alot
of unnecessary recompiling for minor include file changes, but it means
you have to do the "make clean" yourself.

The submake.bat is not intended to be used by people ... it is intended to
make it easier for the makefile.vc's in some directories (like gdal/frmts)
to invoke submakes cleanly with good error handling.

People should generally invoke make with a command like:

nmake /f makefile.vc

or

nmake /f makefile.vc clean

or

nmake /f makefile.vc install

in the main gdal directory.  It is sort of amusing that the submake.bat
works as well as it does.