[gdal-dev] ECW Image Web Server support

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at l...
Thu Jan 3 18:19:28 EST 2002

Frank wrote:
>This problem isn't particularly specific to JPEG. Some file formats
>(those that use the CreateCopy() approach) require as input an well
>formed GDALDataset to be written to the newly created file.
gdal_translate
>only works with these files if no change to the input image organization
>(ie. subsampling, selecting only some bands, etc) is done.

I noticed just after I sent the email that none of the other formats
worked, so this makes sense to me now. I know I'm not using Gdal for all
it was meant to be, i.e. in an application, but just gdalinfo and
gdal_translate are very very helpful tools. I look forward to the virtual
dataset modification. I've already started to do the two step conversion,
thanks for the pointer.

We keep all of our imagery in ECW format and we might be interested in
paying for an open source solution for better support of ECW in gdal. Do
you know of many others who may be interested in improved support for ECW?
I'm still getting to know more about gdal/ogr and how they integrate into
MapServer - but I was wondering if you had any ideas about how one could
make an open source ECW image server. I know we could do it with MapServer
web pages, but is it possible to emulate ERMapper's web protocol? I.e. so
that other ECW clients (internet explorer, arcview, ermapper) could use it
over the web.

Take care,
Tyler