[gdal-dev] ECW Image Web Server support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Fri Jan 4 17:16:14 EST 2002

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> We keep all of our imagery in ECW format and we might be interested in
> paying for an open source solution for better support of ECW in gdal. Do
> you know of many others who may be interested in improved support for ECW?
> I'm still getting to know more about gdal/ogr and how they integrate into
> MapServer - but I was wondering if you had any ideas about how one could
> make an open source ECW image server. I know we could do it with MapServer
> web pages, but is it possible to emulate ERMapper's web protocol? I.e. so
> that other ECW clients (internet explorer, arcview, ermapper) could use it
> over the web.

Tyler,

While I haven't researched it in depth, I think it would be quite difficult
to implement the server side of the ECW internet protocol. For that matter,
implementing a compressor or decompressor for ECW format is, in my opinion,
very difficult.

However, if you talked to ERMapper there might be ways of driving there
existing ECW server software off something like MapServer. I have never
looked into that.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...