[gdal-dev] OGR and GML?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Thu Jul 11 08:26:59 EDT 2002

Ben Discoe wrote:
> Frank, could you comment briefly on where OGR support for GML is at?
>
> I am facing the prospect of writing my own GML parser(s), which as you know
> is quite a daunting task. Since we're already using OGR, i have high hopes
> that it could do some or most of the GML work for us.
>
> It would be totally fine if, at first, it only reads GML 'naively' without
> examining the schema.

Ben,

The OGR GML reading should be working fairly well, and I think I have tested
it successfully with the GML output from the WFS. I am certainly interested
in making further improvements to the GML reader. In fact, I haven't made the
final (billable) delivery for the GML reader to my original client yet, so I do
need to return to it this summer and do some additional polishing.

> Also - if is there a mailing list more appropriate for this question than
> gdal-dev, let me know.

In theory the sfcom-dev list is for all OGR stuff, but in practice I think it
is better to keep all GDAL and OGR discussion on gdal-dev for now. I may
make a separate OGR mailing list when I move gdal-dev to remotesensing.org this
summer.

> Some background on the situation: I've taken a full-time position with VFNY
> (http://www.vfny.org/) whose main project is a GML-based WFS, and
> simulaneously running the VTP, whose ad-hoc formats are attempting to
> migrate towards GML.

Way cool! I will do whatever I can to improve the GML reading to meet your
needs.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...